How to create a chart – Detailed Walkthrough
If you have an app in Podio you wish to visualize, please follow the instructions of this tutorial on how to create and map a new chart in SmartGantt. Log in to SmartGantt and click “Create New Chart”:
1. Select the organization where the app you want to visualize is located, from the drop down menu:
2. Select your workspace within that organization
3. Select the application in your workspace that you want as your first level app (in project management this can be the main overarching project, that will work as a parent)
4. Map your main app by matching the fields from the app that you want to show in your chart, to the different SmartGantt fields. Title and start date is required. Be aware that your application may contain other field names than those of SmartGantt.
Mapping options explanation:
Title – Give your chart a name. This will appear at the top of your chart, and in the menu of different charts.
Task Title – Choose the name of the Task or Milestone. This functions as the name of each item displayed in your chart. This information will appear in the side panel overview, and inside the individual bars in the chart.
Task Owner – Option to show the owner/responsible/team of each item. This information will appear inside the bar.
Start date – Choose the field within your app that specifies the start date of the app.
End date – Choose the field within your app that specifies the end date of the app, this is not required but if your item has no end dates, it is displayed as a diamond-shaped Milestone. An item needs start and end dates to be displayed as a bar.
Progress – If you have a field for progress in your Podio app, SmartGantt creates an interactive progress bar so you can track and visualize your progress.
Status – If you use statuses inside Podio, you can map these in SmartGantt. The statuses will appear inside the bar.
Add custom field – This option lets you map other fields that you require in your chart
5. You can filter your chart. If you wish to only see selected items from your app, you can use your Podio views, or create a new view in Podio of the items you want see in your chart. To see how to create a new filter in Podio please see: https://smartgantt.com/mapping-podio-views/
This will also reduce the amount of data/information and can have an impact on how fast your work flow goes
When you have mapped the fields (as minimum Title and Start Date (if you only have Deadline in your app, use this as Start Date in SmartGantt), then click ‘Next’. If you do not have other apps you wish to visualize clik “Next” again, and “Generate Chart”. Your chart will look something like this:
If you have other apps in your workspace that are related to your main app, you can display these as well. Remember that your apps have to be related in Podio in order to appear in the chart. To see more about relations, please see: https://smartgantt.com/smartgantt-quick-tutorial-relationships-podio/
Pick one or several apps you want to display in your chart. Items from these apps will appear at the second level, that is, beneath your main app
Mapping referenced apps is the same as above. Referenced apps need a relation to the first app, this means that at least one item in the referenced app has a relation to an item in the first app, in order to appear in the chart.
This is the third and last level in SmartGantt. These items will appear beneath the referenced apps. This app needs to carry a relation to the referenced app.
Mapping is the same as above.
Click “Generate Chart” when you are done
An example of a chart with all three levels, including milestones and bars: